Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Why do we like closed doors?

What a funny question!
Who doesnt want closed doors?
Would anyone sleep keeping the doors of the house open? After all, a closed door gives us security and not to mention a sound sleep.
Strange enough, I think the curiosity to open them is also more.
Would a thief try to get into a house whose doors are wide open for him to enter? He would most probably smell a rat there.

Now my parents live in Kolkata, considered to be one of the big cities of India. And guess what! we dont have a lock, er.. well, we do have a latch but no lock for sure and that latch is also forgotten to be put in place at times. Such negligence!! I see all other apartments have a GODREJ lock at least on its doors and sometimes an extra lock or two.
I was quite upset and asked my father why he did not put a lock there.
He had 2 answers;
1. The thief wont look in an open house.
2. Even if he does he can take away only wealth which is just a material thing, nothing important that he should lose his sleep over.(Now its not that we are under the poverty line but our living standards are very modest to say the least.) One of the merits of modest living is sound sleep, though I doubt if there are any takers to this theory here.

Talking about closed doors, some people even keep their windows locked to an extent that they are opened only for cleaning and closed again. They are so so petrified of natural air, that they prefer to sleep in AC!!
I am not ending my answer to locked doors here, I thought a little more about it and its metaphorical meaning.

Recently I was in kolkata and in a mall there, my aunt was with me and she has an aversion to escalators so we thought to try the lift, but alas! it was jam packed. I asked if she minded the stairs and that a little exercise up the stairs would be good for us. While taking the stairs I wondered about the people in the lift, it was full of youngsters and I thought what a way to conserve energy!! They have closed the doors too, from inside, little do they know that in time the doors are going to get closed eventually albeit from outside and they will have no option but to take the lift only. I dont think the younger generation realises that, its a pity really.

Indians are a fan of closed doors, in the name of traditions/society/religion and loyalty towards parents, we tend to close the doors to the future of our children..
If a child wants to go abroad, we are dead against it, particularly the mothers, we think if they go they will never return. We tie them down, close the doors for them and expect them to be by our side as our support and companion for our old age, we strangle their ability and give them tall lectures of how much we sacrificed in raising them up!! What idiocrasy!!!

Here I'd like to add the proverb
"If you love a person set it free, if it comes back it is yours, if it doesnt it ever was!!"
Guess nobody really loves enough (without a doubt) to set the loved one (child) free.
Closed doors offer security (read convenience) like nothing else, guard from theft, in the lift, use the TV sets as baby sitters ( parents do that to children as they have a million other things to do than to talk or be with their children), get your son to stay with you (indian attitude), to name some...

I came across a couplet (written by a muslim poet) in a novel which is;
"You were looking for the key for years,
But the door was always open!"

A closed door is like a closed mind! Is it not?

Closed doors!! I was wondering do they serve any purpose in the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment